A simple girl sharing 40+ years of observations and neuroses...

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Starting over, but not really

My first post on this blog was January 1, 2012. Since then there has been a smatterings of posts here and there but I have decided to unpublish them all and start anew. Perhaps someday i will republish them, but for now they will remain hidden. I will also resist to the temptation to try and fill in the blanks of the past three years. That would be both boring, and laborious. Instead, some of those blanks may fill in naturally as I write from here on out. (starting with this one)

Last year I joined the Cache Valley Chapter of the Utah League of Writers. I wanted a more formal structure for writing and hoped this would provide that. It did, but it also provided a lot of intimidation and so my attendance was sporadic, even when my friend Shauna joined with me. A month ago I renewed my commitment to go and so far I have shared the following, as of yet, untitled poem:

Untitled



A lone willow embedded
firmly on the bank
She longs to uproot herself and leap into the passing waters
Day, after day, after day, after day, in solitary mediation
Secure in the comfort and safety among her fellow foliage
An endless network of deeply settled roots
Unyielding, Unrelenting, Unforgiving
Yet…
The rippling of the river, ever flowing, full of life does not escape her notice
Its gentle rhythmic flow beckoning to come and join the joyous journey
To ride the ripples to a far off place 
Experience a new way of life 
See the unknown
Feel alive
Live
Freed from the riverbed, her home, her safety, security, a prison
The river promises a love she can never receive in her solitary, sedentary, spot in the sun
A love she dare only whisper to the unworried wind
At times, the river changes course, cutting further into the surrounding soil
She holds back from letting go and sinking into its beckoning depths
Her resistance? Fear alone.
Of succumbing to promises and pleasures
Of succumbing
Fear
Alone

This was actually a revision of a poem I wrote in high school. Much of it has changed, but the basic bones and sentiment are the same. I received fairly good critiques on it and a couple of people in the group even suggested I enter it into the contest at the Annual League Conference this fall. I hadn't thought of entering in anything because I still feel fairly new, but I may consider it.

I also hope that by being more diligent about writing in my blog, I will keep writing more at the forefront of my thoughts every day, thus improving my skills, and increasing my enthusiasm.

And let's not forget... it may also stop mom from chastising me for not writing more so she has something to read when she uses the computer at the library....


No comments:

Post a Comment